How Many iOS Apps Are Free?

App Store Icon

Apple’s App Store has over 2 million apps available for users to download, but how many of them are free to use? In this article, we will take a closer look at the number of free iOS apps in the App Store, and what this means for users and developers alike.

Free vs Paid iOS Apps

According to recent data, more than 65% of all iOS apps in the App Store are free to download and use. This means that there are over 1.3 million free apps available for iOS devices. The remaining 35% of apps are paid, ranging in price from a few cents to several hundred dollars.

To give you an idea of the popularity of free apps, a recent report found that the average iOS user downloads approximately 3 free apps per month, and only 1 paid app per month. This means that developers who offer their apps for free have a much higher chance of reaching a wider audience than those who price their apps.

Top Free iOS Categories

Now that we know there are over 1.3 million free iOS apps available, what categories do these apps fall into? According to the App Store, the top 10 categories for free iOS apps include:

Rank Category
1 Games
2 Entertainment
3 Photo & Video
4 Utilities
5 Social Networking
6 Education
7 Lifestyle
8 Health & Fitness
9 Productivity
10 Music

Why Are So Many iOS Apps Free?

With more than 1.3 million free iOS apps available, it’s natural to wonder why so many developers choose to give their apps away for free. There are several reasons for this:

  • Increased visibility: Offering an app for free can help developers reach a larger audience and increase visibility.
  • In-app purchases: Many free iOS apps rely on in-app purchases to generate revenue.
  • Advertising: Developers can also monetize their app through advertising, which can be more lucrative than charging for the app upfront.
  • Competition: With so many free apps available, developers may have to offer their app for free to compete with similar apps in the same category.

The Future of Free iOS Apps

Given the popularity of free iOS apps, it’s safe to say that this trend will continue in the future. However, as more and more developers turn to in-app purchases and advertising to generate revenue, we may see a shift in the way that apps are monetized.

One thing is for sure: the App Store will continue to play a major role in the availability and popularity of free iOS apps. With over 1.3 million free apps available, there’s something for everyone – whether you’re looking for a game to pass the time or a productivity app to help you get things done.

Related video of How Many iOS Apps Are Free?

Leave a Comment