Apple and Spotify are two of the biggest music streaming services in the world. Both offer millions of songs to their users and have become the go-to platforms for music lovers. However, one question that has been on the minds of many artists is which platform pays them more for their music. In this article, we’ll take a closer look at the differences between Apple and Spotify and see which one pays artists more.
The Differences in Payment
First, let’s take a look at how both companies pay artists. Apple Music pays artists based on the number of streams they receive. The company takes a 30% cut of all revenue generated from the app, which includes subscription fees and in-app purchases. The remaining 70% is then divided among the artists based on the number of streams they receive.
Spotify, on the other hand, uses a different model. The company pays artists based on their market share. This means that the more streams an artist gets, the more money they will receive. However, Spotify also takes a cut of the revenue generated from the app, with 30% going to the company and the remaining 70% going to the artists.
So, who pays artists more? According to recent reports, both Apple Music and Spotify pay artists between $0.003 and $0.005 per stream. This means that an artist would need around 200,000 plays to make $1,000 on either platform.
However, some reports suggest that Apple Music pays slightly more than Spotify. For example, a report by Digital Music News found that Apple Music paid $0.007 per stream in 2018, while Spotify paid $0.00437 per stream. Despite this, it’s worth noting that the payment model for both companies is similar, with both taking a cut of the revenue generated from the app.
The Impact on Artists
While both Apple Music and Spotify pay similar amounts per stream, the impact on artists can vary. For example, an artist with a large following may earn more on Spotify due to the platform’s market share model. However, an artist with a smaller following may earn more on Apple Music, as the platform doesn’t prioritize market share in the same way.
It’s also worth noting that both platforms have faced criticism over their payment models. Many artists argue that they don’t receive enough money for their music, and that the platforms don’t prioritize paying artists fairly. Some have even called for changes to the way that streaming services pay artists, although no major changes have been made so far.
In conclusion, both Apple Music and Spotify pay artists similar amounts per stream. While Apple Music may pay slightly more, the payment model for both platforms is largely the same. Ultimately, the impact on artists can vary depending on their following and the number of streams they receive. Despite this, the issue of fair payment for artists is likely to remain a contentious one in the music industry for years to come.